Thursday, April 3, 2008

There just comes a time.....

So as many of you know Lila is a different sleeper then the twins were......partly because she was/is nursing and partly because Shawn and I never brought the twins to bed with us because we didn't have room and we could never justify bringing only 1........Now that Lila is down to nursing first thing in the AM, around lunch time and right after dinner, I finally decided that it was high time she learn to fall asleep on her own.....We have always laid her down in her crib at night but she usually is up between 12am-2am......and me not being patient usually picked her up and brought her to bed.....Well lately she hasn't been sleeping well in our bed, tossing and turning....So yesterday I made the commitment to get her to take her naps in her crib (she usually naps on the couch in the bobby) as well as put her down awake at night with a set bedtime and routine.....I have taken off from my morning work outs for the rest of the week to make sure we get her to stay in her crib at night......

I must say I hate the whole crying it out thing.....I think about the twins....they had and have such good sleep habits and I want to make sure Lila has those same ones....and it would be nice to have all the girls down at once for nap......So I changed Lila's batteries in her fish on her crib, put a few of her favorite stuffed animals in her crib and created a new nap time routine and bed time routine.....So nap time went ok, after I read to the twins and put them down, Lila and I went in her room and read a book and then I laid her down.....I must say she was not happy about being in her crib, but once she saw her fish moving and listened to the song she relaxed a bit, I also had her sound machine set to Brooke (sound of a stream) and she finally fell asleep......I think she cried off and on for about 5-8 min......which was not to bad, I actually was expecting worse......when it finally was silent I went in and checked on her and she was sleeping on top of her teddy bear right under her fish......it was pretty cute......but didnt look very comfortable.....oh well......She napped for about and hour and 1/2.....which was ok for her first day......

Bedtime went pretty well too.....Similar routine.....Dad and Mom read to all 3 girls in the twins room and laid them down for bed......Then we head to Lila's room, changed her and read a story just for her.....and then we turned on her sound machine and her fish (set to Cannon in D, that song always makes me think of weddings) and laid her down....so her bedtime is about 8.30-8.45pm......Last night she did not like the fact that she was going to bed, but yet she was super tired.....I sat on her floor while she cried for the first 3-4 min and assured her all was ok and that I was there for her......then I gave her a kiss and rubber her head and said "I love you and good night" and left the room.....she of course began screaming.....but it didn't last long...probably 3-4 min.....and then she let out cries off and on for another 5 min and then 'Poof'......Silence......after about 20 min I went and checked on her......she had moved her teddy bear to the other side of her crib and was sleeping sitting up under her fish......So cute, he head was bobbing around....so I went in and laid her down and put her super soft Pottery Barn doggie next to her......she didn't wake up.....I checked on her again before I went to bed.....sound asleep......Shawn and I were/are so proud of her.....she woke up around 2.30am.......so I went in and turned her fish on to music and held her hand for about 2 min and then she rolled over cuddled up to her soft doggie and went back to sleep.....until 6.15am!!!!! So she was in her crib from 8.3oish until 6.15ish.....She of course wanted to nurse which was why she woke up.....which was fine with me....but I would usually still be working out at this time.....So I am hoping to get her to sleep until 6.30am....So that she can get up after I get home from the gym........So far so good.....Don't get me wrong I love sleeping with Lila but this is best for all of us........especially her.......Hopefully today will go just as well....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was great. She did really good for her first night in her room. Once she knows that is the routine she will be just fine. What a cutie. I remember when Kiara slept sitting up. Stick to it. L, M